Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
What to make when you’re feeling lazy but still want to eat something healthy and delicious, you ask? This stir-fried broccoli recipe takes only 5 minutes to prepare, and cooking means dumping your ingredients and waiting for the broccoli to soften. I always cringe when people tell me they boil their vegetables (and dumping the cooking water in the process) – what a waste of flavor! I love stir-frying my veggies; and keeping the flavor and the nutrients packed in the dish.
1 medium-sized broccoli
3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
Half of bell pepper
Fish sauce (or salt) and sugar to taste
1 egg (optional)
- Cut broccoli into small florets and julienne its stalk (so they cook for the time). Crush your garlic and chop red chilies (I use three chilies) and bell pepper.
- Fry the garlic in a dash of oil until golden brown.
- Put your bell pepper and red chillies, stir-fry until fragrant.
- Put your broccoli, and a bit of water to prevent burning. Add in some fish sauce (or salt for strick vegetarians) and cover with lid until the florets turn bright green and soften. Serve with rice or noodles.
- Optional for additional rich creaminess: Turn off heat. Beat an egg with a dash of water and put it into your pan. Mix the egg around for a bit and serve on a bowl. Don’t cook in heat or the egg will scramble (no worries the remaining heat in the pan cooks the egg through without overcooking it).