Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Spaghetti aglio e olio is one of my favorite pasta dishes – it is really easy to make yet really delicious. As a college guy with a limited free time in his pocket, this is a fail-proof dish to impress during the high-stress and busy days.
500g spaghetti or other pasta of your choice
Extra virgin olive oil
5 cloves of garlic
Fresh parsley (or dried parsley/ dried mixed Italian herbs)
Fresh chilies (or chili flakes)
Salt and pepper to taste
Steps to making spaghetti aglio e olio:
- Cook your pasta according to the instructions.
- Slice the garlic thinly and roughly chop some fresh chilies.
- When the pasta is halfway done, fry your garlic and chili in olive oil on low heat.
- Because you’re cooking two things at the same time, timing them to finish cooking at the same time is difficult – when your pasta is done before the garlic, turn off the heat and wait until your garlic is golden brown. When your garlic is done first, turn off the heat when it is turning golden until your pasta is done (it will continue cooking in the oil while you’re waiting for the pasta so don’t keep it frying until it is brown or you will end up burning it).
- Drain your pasta and coat it thoroughly in your garlic-infused olive oil. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Grate some parmesan cheese on top and your spaghetti is ready to be served.
Want to add more richness? Put in a tablespoon of butter along with your extra virgin olive oil.
Feeling meaty? Sprinkle some crispy bacon along with the parmesan cheese on top.